Wednesday, December 10, 2008

on not getting things done and other thoughts.

We are beginning to re-think the idea that efficiency is something to be highly valued. I could list, I won't but I could, a number of wonderful moments in our lives here thus far that would have been swept away or ignored had we been evaluating them based on their expediency or their "cost-benefit' ratio. The efficient minister, or at least I would be this way if I prioritized efficiency, stands to miss many important moments in the name of getting things done. (I think though to really value inefficiency, I do have to get better at being focused so that I create space for inefficiency...clearing the urgent so I can see the important etc...) Thoughts?

I read this statement today...Humility is the ultimate expression of courage...hmmm? I think I will chew on that sentence for many days to come...

I also really like the idea of cultivation...I'm reading a book that uses that idea as a framework for leadership...makes sense, gotta keep thinking.

Christmas ethos makes me really happy; trees, fireplaces, old movies, cookies and white elephant parties...it is hard to beat this time of year. I just hope that I am not wringing the import of the season by detaching these ideals from Immanuel. (On the other hand, I am simultaneously participating in the rhythms of advent more fully than I ever have, pretty reflective month so far)

Congrats to Travis on 10,000 days, may you have tens of thousands more. Congrats to Gator and fam on the expansion project, may you have tens of thousands more...

2 comments:

Andrew Gates said...

"Tens of thousands more" would guarantee inefficiency. I would get nothing done. I'm already bad enough with efficiency.

abby said...

I liked this post Adam... you should write another one.
I am afraid I am inefficient at inopportune times, more specifically, putting off busy work.